We had the opportunity (and privilege) to watch one day of the recent Nissan World Cup Qualifier held in Port Elizabeth. Rain and gale force wind didn’t put any horse or rider off – these guys showed exactly what they are made of and entertained the passionate crowd with professionalism and outstanding riding.
The same gale didn’t stop runners, cyclists and paddlers to compete in various events over the weekend – but we were all saddened by the news that one competitor in the annual Pete Marlin Surfski Competition, held in East London, was reported missing. The organisers were stunned by the support they have received from fellow paddlers, the community and rescue services to search non-stop in the hope to find him. It is always good to see how a community can stand together.
We all love the outdoors. We love nature, and the various things we can do in nature. Some with a bigger risk than others, adding to the enjoyment. It remains a privilege, and we should not stop doing these things. But please take the utmost care for you and your family when you are out there.
Our thoughts are with the family.
- Saturday 22 November: 08:00 St Francis parkrun
- Saturday 22 – Sunday 23 November: Pam Golding Ladies Open (St Francis Golf Club and St Francis Links)
- Wednesday 26 November: Humansdorp Toyota Better Ball Stableford, St Francis Golf Club
- Friday 28 November: Heather Rabie Sundowners, St Francis Golf Club
- Saturday 29 November: 08:00 St Francis parkrun
- Saturday 29 November: Zingela Archery Monthly Shoot
- Saturday 29 November: New Morning Market, 167 St Francis Drive. Contact Tessa Suckling on 082 372 2332
- Saturday 29 November: Monthly Medal, St Francis Golf Club
- Sunday 30 November: Longmore Classic MTB
- 08:30 – 13:00 Bridge Club at St Francis Links, contact Wendy McKenzie on 042 294 0541
- 08:30 – 09:30 The Studio, Village Centre: Yoga for all levels
- St Francis United Christian Church Home Groups: 10:00 Pat Munro (042 294 0583)
- 10:30 – 11:30 Nadine’s Boot Camp for Girls, contact 079 509 2071
- 11:00 – 13:00 Balobi Fresh Fish Market @ Port St Francis – 042 2940 148
- 13:00 Tabs at Bowls Club
From 14:00 Tennis lessons by coach Clare Millson – group or private, adults and children at the St Francis Bay Tennis Club. Contact Clare on 042 294 0630 or 0732215524. Read more …
A new destination of fun, food and – the best part – animals delighted Grade 00 St Francis College learners recently when they visited The Wild Fig farm in Jeffreys Bay. Opened in January this year, the delightful spot is child-friendly, boasting a modern, farm-styled artisan restaurant and coffee shop for moms, a mini golf course for dads and large outdoor play area with a jungle gym and touch farm for the kids. Read more …
The Southern African Foundation for the Conservation of Coastal Birds (SANCCOB), the penguin rehabilitation centre next to the Seal Point Lighthouse in Cape St Francis, is requesting support in their final stage of facility upgrade to ensure a presentable tourist attraction going into the festive season. Read more …
The national winners of the second annual Lilizela awards were revealed recently at a ceremony held at the Lyric Theatre at Gold Reef City, Johannesburg. Over the years there have been several different awards and ceremonies conducted by different entities and organisations and it was decided to bring them all together under the Lilizela Awards banner managed by SA Tourism and the Tourism Grading Council of South Africa. Read more …
The adventure tourism sector has grown 195% from 2010 to 2013, with further growth expected. These are some of the findings contained in the UNWTO Global Report on Adventure Tourism 2014, released this week by the World Tourism Organization, together with the Adventure Travel Trade Association (ATTA). Read more …