We all know the idiomatic expression “be careful what you wish for.” Someone wrote a book with the same title, there have been songs, numerous comic strips, we still make our wish.
Vasti Geldenhuys, a normal person with a normal office job, wished her boyfriend, adventurer-de-lux Riaan Manser would take her to New York for a holiday. Show me a man who can say no to a pretty lady. Riaan granted Vasti her wish – they are on their way to New York, in a 7m rowing boat, crossing the Atlantic Ocean unsupported. They have just reached San Salvador, Bahamas after 74 days at sea, and will continue after a short break to make Vasti’s wish come true.
What an amazing inspiration. Follow their journey, I am.
- From Monday 14 April to Friday 2 May: 10:00 – 11:30 weekdays junior paddling with St Francis Paddling Club. Contact Richard on 042 294 1188.
- Friday 18 April: 18:30 Good Friday Service at St Francis United Church
- Saturday 19 and Sunday 20 April: Port St Francis Skiboat Club Easter Fishing Competition. Registration Friday 18 from 18:00. Entry fee R150 adults, R50 juniors. Contact Garth Webb on 083 2828207 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Saturday 19 April: 08:00 St Francis parkrun
- Saturday 19 April: New Morning Market, 167 St Francis Drive. Contact Tessa Suckling on 082 372 2332
- Sunday 20 April: 06:30 Easter Sunday Sunrise Service at Granny’s Pool and Family Service at 08:30 at St Francis United Church Read more …
- 08:30 – 13:00 Bridge Club at St Francis Links, contact Wendy McKenzie on 042 294 0541
- 08:30 – 09:30 The Studio, Village Centre: Yoga for all levels
- St Francis United Christian Church Home Groups: 10:00 Pat Munro (042 294 0583)
- 10:30 – 11:30 Nadine’s Boot Camp for Girls, contact 079 509 2071
- 11:00 – 13:00 Balobi Fresh Fish Market @ Port St Francis - 042 2940 148
- 13:00 Tabs at Bowls Club
From 14:00 Tennis lessons by coach Clare Millson - group or private, adults and children at the St Francis Bay Tennis Club. Contact Clare on 042 294 0630 or 0732215524. Read more …
Here is the programme for the 2014 Nautical Capital Festival that kicks off with the Grand Opening on Saturday 26 April at Port St Francis and ends with a Concert in the Park at 167 St Francis Drive on Saturday 3 May – download onto your phone, or make a printout – just make sure you don’t miss out on the fun! Read more …
The 2014 Cape St Francis Surfski Challenge held in beautiful weather over 14km on Saturday 12 April was won in a time of 57 min 38 sec by the current top surfski paddler in the world, Jasper Mocke. Matt Bouman, who has represented South Africa in five watersports finished second, 25 seconds behind the winner, with Sean Rice, 2013 World Surfski Champion in third place, a further 36 seconds back. Read more …
Cape Town music legends The Blues Broers are launching a new album with a series of live shows across South Africa. Into the Red consisted of 14 new, original compositions and was recorded and mixed at Sunset Studios in Stellenbosch. The band explores several blues styles on the album. Read more …
St Francis Bay will be painted blue and white for the inaugural Nautical Capital Festival that kicks off on 26 April with a Grand Opening Day at Port St Francis. Businesses are invited to add events to the program or take space for a stall at the Port. The festival will finish on Saturday 3 May with a Concert in the Park. Read more …